Do you think that Vader ever struggled with his Authentic Self?
I mean the man wore a mask to conceal his identity (yes to save his own life) but do you wonder if it was about something else?
His origin story clearly revealed that he struggled with aspects of his identity. His anger, feeling disconnected in his relationships, not feeling included in his peer group. There were many aspects to his identity as a young jedi that he struggled with and ultimately he decided to shield those parts of himself out of his own fear.
He locked away his true self.
How does one BE authentic when you’ve spent the majority of your life in old patterns of thinking and acting in ways to please others or to fit in?
Being authentic for me is about:
- Accepting all of my faults and viewing them as areas for self-growth
- Being ok with ALL parts of my identity
- Telling myself that I’m human and that no one is perfect.
- Staying true to my values and beliefs
- Doing what makes sense for ME (and not what others expect of me)
- Not giving shit what other people think of me because I can’t be liked by everyone
To BE authentic it starts with self-awareness and self-love.
Get to really know who you are…what’s important to you. What do you hold close to your heart? Where are you lines in the sand? Basic things like your beliefs and values.
What aspects of your identity have you been hiding from others? Dig deep for this one!
Unpack the parts of yourself that you’ve been feeling embarrassed or ashamed about. Where do they come from?
What’s your origin story?